|A reader shares that on occasion they find a new and interesting venue on the internet and end up using it compulsively, wasting a lot of time, and then feeling disgusted with themselves. They believe that if they make a decision to get involved with an internet venue, they can just make a decision to stop the behavior. [Use of “they” deliberate]|
So called “internet addiction is a new and growing problem impacting on modern life. "Internetting" can be addictive in a few ways:
1. Whether you prefer to think of it as "addiction" or simply as operant conditioning, certain types of internet activity can become powerful compulsions very quickly. As with gambling and other compulsive disorders, once established, this behavior is driven by neurochemical changes and may be quite challenging to alter.
2. You lose your sense of time. Often, I will begin a task on the internet which I casually assume will take five or ten minutes . . . but then I find that two hours has gone with only a vague awareness of the passage of time. I don't know if that is a "flow experience" or not, but in the context I am using it here, there is definitely a dark side to it.
3. In line with the above, this "flow experience" may be inherently positively reinforcing, which complicates the addictive nature of the process. Nothing wrong, I suppose with positively reinforcing experience, IF that produce positive results. However, if such experiences just suck you into using buckets of time you would rather have been spending on something else, and then you end up“downing yourself for, then obviously there is a problem.
Back to REBT:
Do I smell just a teensy, tiny hidden "must" there???
If they make a decision to get involved with an internet venue, they can just make a decision to stop the behavior
Could you be saying; If I make a decision to get involved with something, I ought to be able to just make a decision to stop the behavior" ?
I do this a lot. I get depressed, and then berate myself for getting depressed because smart, REBT guys shouldn't get depressed, or should be able to snap out of it by wiggling our dear little noses. Ironically, when I catch this, I do immediately begin to feel a lot better, and without heroic disputing and replacing as the distortion is so obviously distorted, and the rational replacement is so obviously apparent.
Deal with your musts, explicit or hidden, in all of their variations, as well as self-downing for your inability to do as you must, and you can free up energy that may allow you to deal more effectively and successfully with time management and procrastination.
How comfortable are you with how you use the Internet? What techniques, if any, do you use to manage your online time? Please join the discussion below. Your views are important and we want to hear from you.
© 2017, Rex Alexander. All rights reserved.
196 total views, 6 views today© Copyright 2017 Rex Alexander, All rights Reserved. Written For:
Originally posted 2013-04-17 06:48:45.
- REBT - Mon 23 Oct 17
- I don’t care . . . It doesn’t matter! - Mon 23 Oct 17
- HAPPY THANKSGIVING! - Sun 22 Oct 17
- Acceptance is not love! - Sun 22 Oct 17
- “Happy For Life” new Will Ross book - Sat 21 Oct 17
Regular Columns & Features
ArchivesFeb0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 PostsFeb0 PostsMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsJan0 PostsFeb0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsJan0 PostsMar0 PostsJul0 PostsSep0 PostsNov0 PostsJan0 PostsMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsSep0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 PostsJan0 PostsFeb0 PostsMar0 PostsApr0 PostsMay0 PostsJun0 PostsJul0 PostsAug0 PostsOct0 PostsNov0 PostsDec0 Posts
Amazon Associate Member
Rex Alexander and REBT Info are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Help REBT Info continue to serve you. We get a small commission from Amazon.com or other
concerns when you purchase items using the links on these pages. Thank you for your support! ~Rex
TOS / Terms of Service
Pretty basic stuff: No fussing, no fighting, no cussing, no spamming, no scamming, no blaming, no flaming, no hating, no bating, no trolling, no personal attacks. No pornography (Damn!). The Golden Rule applies. Focus on issues, ideas and principles rather than on personalities and you will fit right in. Please keep your contributions friendly and polite, treat your fellow members and readers with respect and all will be well.
All content and information submitted become the property of REBT Info (REBTinfo.com)
We at REBT Info value your privacy. Your personal information is secure with us. Secure server software (SSL) encrypts all information you enter before it is sent to us, and all of the customer data we collect is protected against unauthorized access.
We WILL NOT sell, rent, distribute or otherwise share your personal information, including e-mail address, to or with anyone for any reason (except in the extremely rare, unlikely case of demands by duly authorized law enforcement acting strictly in accord with due process).
For more information, please read the long version
Copyright © 2012-2017 by Rex Alexander dba REBT Info / http://REBTinfo.com.
All rights reserved. The content of this website or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever
without the express written permission of the publisher except for the use of brief quotations in a book review.
This website is for educational, informational and entertainment purposes only. By accessing this blog you understand and agree to these conditions, as well as to the other Terms of Service / TOS posted, and which may be updated and amended from time-to-time.
By accessing this website blog and related media, you affirm that you have read, understand and agree to our Terms of Service / TOS which may be updated and amended from time-to-time.
This is a public blog
Anything you post may be viewed by the public. Therefore, do not post anything you wish to remain private.