This is a follow-up to my post from last month “What if you only understand your REBT process intellectually?”
In REBT, obviously, language is important, essential even. However, in my opinion persuading yourself that your IB’s are truly irrational, unhelpful, often just a bunch of silly fantasy is more important than how cleverly or how perfectly you word your exercises. Likewise, really believing that your rational replacements are true is more important than clever language.
In the end, it is all about what we believe, actually believe down in our bones, not about filling out forms. Beliefs are the currency we use in REBT. However, unlike religion where beliefs are based upon faith, in REBT beliefs are just as passionate as those of a Christian, but are based upon “wet,” deeply persuasive, logical, rational argument, not faith. So, yes, please continue to do your written exercises. But try also getting up and walking around, even storming around a bit, do your exercises aloud, put some heat into it. I wrote something the other day about the “empty chair technique” in conjunction with REBT in the post I linked to above. Have a looksee. It may be helpful.
PLEASE ADD YOUR COMMENTS, QUESTIONS,
OPINIONS IN THE BOX BELOW. WE HEARING
© 2018, Rex Alexander. All rights reserved.
421 total views, 0 views today© Copyright 2018 Rex Alexander, All rights Reserved. Written For:
Originally posted 2013-12-07 04:07:02.
- It’s settled! Laughter is the best policy! - Sat 21 Jul 18
- Every day, in every way, I am getting better and better! (Sure you are!) - Fri 20 Jul 18
- Will there always be an REBT? - Fri 20 Jul 18
- Video : Albert Ellis’ Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy (REBT)- Daniel Man of Reason - Thu 19 Jul 18
- Is keeping emotions “bottled up” dangerous? - Thu 19 Jul 18