We have been discussing the approach of Dr. David Burns, renowned member of the Beck team which developed Cognitive Therapy in the 1980’s, best-selling author of the evergreen “Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy” and many other fine books on CBT.
The Feeling Good Handbook
Make life an exhilarating experience!
With his phenomenally successful Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy, Dr. David Burns introduced a groundbreaking, drug-free treatment for depression. Now in this long-awaited sequel, he reveals powerful new techniques and provides step-by-step exercises that help you cope with the full range of everyday problems.
* Free from fears, phobias, and panic attacks
* Overcome self-defeating attitudes
* Discover the five secrets of intimate communication
* Put an end to marital conflict
* Conquer procrastination and unleash your potential for success
With an up-to-date section on everything you need to know about commonly prescribed psychiatric drugs and anxiety disorders such as agoraphobia and obsessive-compulsive disorder, this remarkable guide can show you how to feel good about yourself and the people you care about. You will discover that life can be an exhilarating experience.
Rex sez If there is any criticism I have about Burns’s work, it is not so much about his work as his personality. He has (or had) this relentless, sunny optimism which even in the beginning I intuited overstated the case for CBT.
The people who have been helped by CBT-REBT don’t really care about the studies and stats on efficacy, as well they shouldn’t, they are happy to feel better and live more rewarding lives. Still, even the most favorable studies talk abut CBT-REBT being helpful in only about 60%-80% . Even on the high end, those numbers suck! And the low end may very well be a lot less than 60%. Would you get into a car if you knew that there was a 20%-40% chance it was gong to crash? Would you have surgery if you knew there was a 20%-40% chance you would end up dead or disabled? More important is insight into the subset of those who were helped. Why did it work for them? How many do we have to disregard because they had reached a stage of “readiness” and would have improved no matter what they did? Are there any unifying factors that researchers have identified? Maybe this has been well-researched, but I have not heard about hose studies. We know that there are no silver bullets, and in a perfect world, people who are suffering could be readily matched with the kind of therapy or treatment that will be most helpful.
I am a booster and life-long fan of this stuff, and a fan of Dr. Burns. His books as well as Dr. Ellis’s “saved my bacon,” and over the years have positively influenced my life in so many ways. Yet the best I have gotten is better tools for managing depression and anxiety. That is hardly chopped liver, and I remain grateful, but it is a long way from the sunny testimonials Burns serves up in his books.”
What do you say?
Please add your comments, reviews, opinions and questions in the form below, because we LOVE hearing from YOU!
Loneliness does not come from having no people about one, but from being unable to communicate the things that seem important to oneself, or from holding certain views which others find inadmissible.C. G. Jung Psychiatrist and psychoanalyst who founded analytical psychology… (next quote)
Rex Alexander and REBT Info are participants in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
When you buy items using the links on this website, we may get a small commission which keeps me in coffee, which keeps me working, which keeps me providing valuable content for you. Thank you for your continuing support of REBT Info.com.~Rex
TOS / Terms of Service
Pretty basic stuff: No fussing, no fighting, no cussing, no spamming, no scamming, no blaming, no flaming, no hating, no bating, no trolling, no personal attacks. No pornography (Damn!). The Golden Rule applies. Focus on issues, ideas and principles rather than on personalities and you will fit right in. Please keep your contributions friendly and polite, treat your fellow members and readers with respect and all will be well.
All content and information submitted become the property of REBT Info (REBTinfo.com)
We at REBT Info value your privacy. Your personal information is secure with us. Secure server software (SSL) encrypts all information you enter before it is sent to us, and all of the customer data we collect is protected against unauthorized access.
We WILL NOT sell, rent, distribute or otherwise share your personal information, including e-mail address, to or with anyone for any reason (except in the extremely rare, unlikely case of demands by duly authorized law enforcement acting strictly in accord with due process).
All rights reserved. The content of this website or any portion thereof may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever
without the express written permission of the publisher except for the use of brief quotations in a book review.
This website, REBTinfo.com, and others under the REBT Info family are for education, information and entertainment purposes only; are not intended as, nor should be regarded as medical or psychiatric diagnosis, advice or treatment.
By accessing this blog you understand and agree to these conditions, as well as to the other Terms of Service / TOS posted, and which may be updated and amended from time-to-time.
By accessing this website blog and related media, you affirm that you have read, understand and agree to our Terms of Service / TOS which may be updated and amended from time-to-time.
This is a public blog
Anything you post may be viewed by the public. Therefore, do not post anything you wish to remain private.