The following is a actual quote by someone I worked for at one time, complaining that I failed to communicate according to protocol. The context is unimportant, but the situations is real, in real-time, and the details are kept sparse to allow us to focus on the REBT process (and, of course, to protect the guilty)
|The critic is angry, talks about being pissed off, and then goes on to say
It annoys me beyond measure, so . . . “
This was not said as an offhanded “throw away line” or as a colorful figure of speech. The boss was expressing real vitriol and hostility.
- Identify the specific distortion(s) in this brief statement.
- What exactly does “pissed beyond all measure” meean? What is the intent and what is being expressed here? Expand upon this original statement; what other distortions is this likely to lead to?
- Why are these distortions distorted? That is in what ways are they distorted? What makes them distorted?
- What would the like emotional and behavioral consequence for
a. the critic
b. the person being criticized
- Does this interaction remind you of any incidents or “activating events” in your own life?
- Or, do you believe such statements are this a just a “figure of speech,” just a colorful expression made for emphasis that we needn’t t be so fussy over? Or is Rex just being a “word Nazi”?
Khon Kaen, Thailand
2,666 total views, 1 views today
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count:
Originally posted 2014-10-17 18:57:05.