The following is a actual quote by someone I worked for at one time, complaining that I failed to communicate according to protocol. The context is unimportant, but the situations is real, in real-time, and the details are kept sparse to allow us to focus on the REBT process (and, of course, to protect the guilty)
The critic is angry, talks about being pissed off, and then goes on to say
It annoys me beyond measure, so . . . “
This was not said as an offhanded “throw away line” or as a colorful figure of speech. The boss was expressing real vitriol and hostility.
- Identify the specific distortion(s) in this brief statement.
- What exactly does “pissed beyond all measure” meean? What is the intent and what is being expressed here? Expand upon this original statement; what other distortions is this likely to lead to?
- Why are these distortions distorted? That is in what ways are they distorted? What makes them distorted?
- What would the like emotional and behavioral consequence for
a. the critic
b. the person being criticized
- Does this interaction remind you of any incidents or “activating events” in your own life?
- Or, do you believe such statements are this a just a “figure of speech,” just a colorful expression made for emphasis that we needn’t t be so fussy over? Or is Rex just being a “word Nazi”?
Khon Kaen, Thailand
3,201 total views, 3 views today
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 1
Originally posted 2014-10-17 18:57:05.
Latest posts by Rex Alexander
- Conversation with Aaron Beck, Founder Cognitive Therapy - Tue 21 Jan 20
- Only understand REBT “intellectually”? - Mon 20 Jan 20